Friday, September 10, 2010

Author Notes For Pretty Vacant: Vegas Showcase


Every issue I have ever written seems to have a unique problem all its own. My first Pretty Vacant story had to adapt a 90 minute movie script into a 24 page comic book format. I knew that I could write Pretty Vacant: Vegas Showcase from scratch, but the problem I had was not the format, but the plot. What type of situation would make possible the re-plastination of Gigi Gutierrez? After all, it’s not something she would ever want to happen to her again.

Having made her way out of the plastination trap in the first issue, Gigi promised she would return to free her friend Mindy from her cryo-tank. However, Gigi was lucky as two outside events enabled her to overcome the hypnotic sedative injected into her system and avoid the cryo chamber. I felt that Gigi’s escape would make her over-confident in her rescue attempt of Mindy, and that would give Still Life the means to re-plasticize the alluring ex-athlete.

Fortunately for me, sales for Pretty Vacant have been good, giving me the opportunity to write at least two more issues. I was not going to struggle with the means to plasticize Gigi again, so I wrote it into the last two pages of this issue. I imagine there will be other problems that will crop up as I write the next issue, but Gigi being plastinated will not be one of them.

Thanks for the sales and the support! I hope to see all of you soon, or at least when the next issue, Pretty Vacant: Final Repose is published.

John Villaino


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home