Monday, February 8, 2010

She's Waiting For Me

I was late, and I had no one to blame but me.

Too many obligations.
Too many distractions.
Too many people.

Especially since the only person I wanted to see this day was Colleen, the lady who was the basis for my Gigi character. And I was running late.

I drove my car as fast and hard as I could, knowing it still wouldn’t be enough. I silently swore at every red light that made me momentarily stop. I put on a tie as best I could driving 50 miles per hour on the street. And I ignored the ring tone on my cell, as I knew it was my tax office reminding me I was late.

Forty-five minutes late. I parked, grabbed a copy of Pretty Vacant from the back seat of my car and briskly walked into my office. I fully expected Colleen to be angry, gone, or worse, having another tax preparer work on her return. I entered the room, and saw her.

Patiently waiting for me.

Pretending not to listen to the receptionist admonish me for my tardiness, I walked over to Colleen, ready to explain everything. However, Colleen saw me, rushed over to me…

… and embraced me much longer than an acquaintance should.

Without warning, my words left me. All I could whisper was, “I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay,” she replied.

“But I really am sorry.”

“It’s okay,” she repeated.

Sometime after that, Colleen introduced me to her daughter and I started working on the return. As I prepared Colleen’s return, she seemed more interested in what was going on with my life (Pretty Vacant, The Dodgers, Chuck) than in her own tax refund (which was quite sizeable, by the way). During our brief time, I dominated most of the conversation, which made me apologize once again.

“I talk too much,” I confessed.

Colleen had a confession of her own: “I like hearing you talk.”

After she paid for her return, I walked Colleen and her daughter out to the parking lot. I signed her issue of Pretty Vacant, and she held me once more. I knelt down and bumped fists with her kid and stood up to watch the lady with the most amazing eyes walk away, youngster in tow.

Same time next year. Can’t wait!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home