Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The ‘Joie de Vivre’ of Comics: San Diego Comic-Con

With a new book to promote, one would imagine that Comic-Con would be the ideal place to debut Pretty Vacant. Yet it is not, and it leads me to my main criticism about Comic-Con: the focus is not on comic books anymore.

Comic-Con once took only films and television shows with a comic book, sci-fi or fantasy bent. Now it seems that it will take studio money no matter what the show’s content may be. Where Heroes and the V remake are a definite fit with Comic-Con, Chuck and The Big Bang Theory are only borderline fits at best. But Dexter and Weeds? No staffer gave me a decent explanation as to why those shows were at the Con.

Comic books? The big joke was that comic books were the endangered species at its own show! Where I was selling Pretty Vacant, other tables were selling t-shirts, films, jewelry, toys, and there was even a table showcasing a Playboy bunny! There were only two tables selling comic books in my aisle.

Despite all its flaws, I love Comic-Con! Even if studios and attendees don’t care about comic creators, the Con still treats them very well. I always want to see what new comic books are out or are being planned. It’s great to meet friends that I only seem to see at the show. And I love how almost everything offered at Comic-Con is accessible to everyone – even if Hollywood is now starting up exclusive invitation only parties outside the San Diego Convention Center.

Exclusivity ruined the Sundance Film Festival. What started as a low-profile festival for small independent films has become a media extravaganza for Hollywood. I can only hope that the same fate doesn’t befall my beloved Comic-Con!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home