Sunday, June 14, 2009

Objet d'Art

Alongside Dodger Stadium, the Getty Museum is one of my favorite places to be in LA! I do like art, and every once in a while art can inspire, like this sculpture between the main buildings and the gardens:
Aristide Maillol’s Torso of Summer is an artwork that snuck up on me. I finally got to take a picture of it during my last visit to the Getty. And believe it or not, it was the pose that caught my attention, not its other attributes…
… which leads me to my Pretty Vacant comic. When Still Life first inspects the plasticized Gigi after the mannequin mold-making machine opens, I didn’t want a standard mannequin pose (like the standard stand-at-attention-arms-at-side pose). I wanted an something artistic, one that would make her stand out from the other “body molds”.

I can create an exciting story and throw in high brow reference like Gigi’s artistic “pose” just for the fun of it. It's a small touch that makes working on this comic cool!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home