Friday, November 1, 2013

A Person Who Needs People


An artist wanted to work on a comic project with me, but due to circumstances I couldn’t pay him right away. Normally when that occurs either I don’t work with him or we would collaborate sometime in the future. Fortunately my friend Steve recommended Kickstarter for my cash flow issues, and I decided to have my latest book crowdfunded.

People are the key with crowdfunding. They are the ones that pledge, and it is those pledges that fund projects. Then there’s the wall. 30% funded is the threshold for a project to be backed by people not in your immediate circle. 90% of all projects succeed when 30% of the project goal is reached. In order to reach the initial 30% I contacted fans and friends.

And they came through for me.

They pledged, and if they could not they shared. The project site was shared over social media, enabling the project to be seen not just be my circle of friends, but by my friend’s circle of friends as well. If they could not share they advised, encouraged and helped me stay grounded, especially when Pretty Vacant: London Calling became the hottest project crowdfunded online (according to Kicktraq)!

The beauty of Kickstarter is that it is not just a site to raise money; it’s a social site as well! People can fund your dreams without having to give up your equity (ownership). People pledge their money because they believe in you, the creator. The creator needs people to back their projects, and people… who need people… are the luckiest people in the world! Take it, Barbara…



Previous Kickstarter Entry

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home