Sunday, November 11, 2012

Skyfalling Into Place


Having just seen the latest James Bond 007 film, Skyfall, I would highly recommend it. And watching it, I would have to say that Bond is very good at only two things: 1) killing men and women and 2) seducing women and (surprisingly) men.



That’s not to say that 007 is incompetent. He shows many varied skills in the movie. Be it computer, gambling and driving (in many different vehicles) skills, Bond sticks to his strengths and picks up others along the way.

My Gigi Gutierrez character originally was created along comic lines to be excellent at two things as well. She is very good at spiking volleyballs and maintaining her balance, but her baseball-throwing, hand-to-hand fighting and modeling skills were acquired throughout the Pretty Vacant comic series.

When I started in comics (oh so many years ago), I knew I was good at lettering and putting a story together. Everything else I learned as I needed it (computer layout, comic art flow and touching-up artwork) or found someone who could do it for me (inking, post-up, coloring). I didn’t have to know everything. I just had to start from somewhere.

For anyone who does a task or creates a product that requires many skills, it’s helpful to know what you’re really good doing and what skills you believe you can learn as you move forward. From there you can find people who can help you complete your project!

For me, Bond and Gutierrez definitely have some successful skills to emulate. However, I’ll leave the killing and seducing to him… and the ability to somehow look great in a bikini while kicking tail to her!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home